Monday, 1 April 2013

Two of every ten over-55s will lose unemployment benefits when changes come into effect

The government has decreed that total household not individual income is to be applied in assessment
MADRID Employment Minister Fátima Báñez admitted last week that 80% of over-55s in Spain will have no problem with receiving unemployment benefits when the new income requirements come into effect later this year. It is the other 20% that is worrying much of the media, not to mention unions and other social agencies. These potential beneficiaries are likely to remain beyond the requirements of the new norms as these come into effect. Regulations stipulate that household income must be taken into account as a whole, rather than those of the individual. (A more detailed article on this subject will soon be available at

No comments: