Thursday 27 June 2013

Changing UK driving licence to a Spanish one

(Illustration only)
This is not Wendy's new licence
(By Wendy Tong) Feeling very pleased with myself having successfully achieved the first part of this, so thought I would pass this information on to others who may be considering doing the same thing. I think the law is now that if you live here you should do this, but my picture card is up in August anyway so I thought it was time. The information is probably on the Trafico website but simply, this is what you need (I went armed with every document I could find....) - your card driving licence and a photocopy, passport and photocopy, and your residencia and a photocopy. Plus, 2 passport photos (they don't like the bigger picture ones that you need for the UK passports, though) Make sure you have your NIE number. Plus form  E27.10.>>>

I went to the office in La Línea, which is on the road that runs along the border to Gib. Go to the 'información' desk in the left hand corner and the very nice and friendly chap there, who speaks English, will give you 3 forms to fill in. When you have done this you take them to the 'Caja' window and pay where they stamp them, then back to the information window to hand this in with the photocopies. They check the originals to see they are genuine copies, and that's all. They give you a piece of paper stamped 'Entrada' and apparently will e-mail to say the card is ready in 1 month's time. Nobody mentioned a medical or anything like that (See Expat drivers ... medical exam).  Will let you know!

5 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks Wendy! Where did you get form E27.10? Is that the form you collected in the traffic office inforation desk or do you go in with it?

Bettina Birgit Metzner said...

when you change or if you do change your EEC. licence,what happens to your driving entitlements? All Spanish licences Ive seen only have the bare minimum entitlements,car,moped or burro,and trailers upto 750kg max. I still dont even have a photo licence and DVLA say you do not need to change to a photo licence till the paper one expires.BBut you can if you want.That would be 40 pounds please????? No thank you. I think I will wait till around 2035 to change to a photo licence,it is free then!(so DVLA tell me) Doug.

Wendy T said...

It's not 'FORM E 27.10' but I paid - 27.10 in euros - that's what it costs to make the change! Lost in Prop's translation somewhere or tiz my fault for not being able to locate the euro symbol on my keyboard.....

PROSPERO said...

From Facebook by Christine Markham: we waited from the point of application in November to May 2013 to get our new licences - no emails - they came through the post eventually

Wendy T said...

Update: so I got an email last week telling me to go back to the office to collect my license, which I did today only it's NOT actually the license yet, just a piece of card and the actual card will arrive in the post in 3 week's time.