Showing posts with label TRIPARTITE FORUM. Show all posts
Showing posts with label TRIPARTITE FORUM. Show all posts

Monday, 16 July 2012

Foundation proposes 'strategic turnaround for Gibraltar'

'A Strategy for Gibraltar'
CAMPO DE GIBRALTAR A Spanish foundation called Ciudadanía y Valores (FUNCIVA, Citizenship and Values) on Friday presented a report that proposes, to the Spanish government and political parties, a pact that would lead to "stability and a long-term" strategy towards Gibraltar. Included are such measures as the creation of a new forum and re-opening the Spanish Consulate on the Rock. This, says the report, would give the Campo de Gibraltar more "political and fiscal weight" that would allow it to compete with Gibraltar and make any future status changes there more attractive. The report also asks that more pressure be placed in international forums, to diminish the fiscal privileges now enjoyed by Gibraltar, and that it becomes integrated into Europe so that the frontier ceases to have any meaning.>>>

Thursday, 2 February 2012

Gibraltar accepts expanding Forum to include Campo

(Photo: NASA)
Forum to lose 'tripartite' aspect
GIBRALTAR (Agencies) While David Lidington, UK Secretary of State for Europe, was in Madrid confirming what he had announced early last year, that sovereignty of Gibraltar was not under discussion and would never be without the approval of the people of the Rock, Chief Minister Fabian Picardo was saying that his government had no problem including the Campo de Gibraltar in the Forum, as long as Gibraltar continued to join the talks with its own delegation, separate from that of the UK. This, at any rate, was what a spokesperson for Picardo said in response to a proposal from the new PP government in Madrid, which announced the end of the 'tripartite' talks, also called Foro de Diálogo (Forum of Dialogue). Nonetheless, the talks are now open to a fourth member, named as 'Spanish regional authorities' without specifying that it meant the Campo de Gibraltar area. It should be added that, having been created in 2004 to deal with local cooperation matters, the Forum has been in suspense since 2010, when then Minister of Foreign Affairs, Trinidad Jiménez, put it aside as the then Chief Minister Peter Caruana insisted on including the subject of sovereignty, something Madrid insists is only debatable between London and Madrid.

Saturday, 19 February 2011

Spanish Foreign Minister reaffirms commitment to Tripartite Forum

LONDON/MADRID/GIBRALTAR (Agencies) The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Trinidad Jiménez, reaffirmed her government´s commitment to the Tripartite Forum on Gibraltar and expressed her hopes that the "existing obstacles can be overcome so that the talks can proceed with normality into the future." At a press conference with her British counterpart, William Hague, Jiménez added that "the Government of Spain has not changed its position regarding the Forum." It is well to remember that>

Saturday, 20 November 2010

Government delegate says sovereignty should only be debated among states

GIBRALTAR (Agencies) Julio Montesino (photo), the Spanish government's Special Delegate to the Campo de Gibraltar, said yesterday at a seminar that, as far as Spaini s concerned, the matter of the sovereignty of Gibraltar can only be debated among states, in other words between Spain and the UK. His comments, which represent the viewpoint of his bosses at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, came only a day after the Rock's Chief Minister, Peter Caruana said exactly the opposite, that 'the time for bilateral talks is over', and that the Treaty of Utrecht is 'no longer any use' at the same venue, the Autumn Courses of the University of Cadiz, held in Algeciras. Montesino said that Spain's old claim on sovereignty is 'still current and irrenouncable' but that the Tripartite Forum, while it has induced many advances, will not include any debate on the subject.

Friday, 22 October 2010

Spain, UK and Gibraltar renew talks under Tripartite Forum

GIBRALTAR (Agencies) After much fury on both sides of the frontier and protests about 'invasion' of territorial waters, all parties in the Forum have decided on renewed technical talks on five of the six co-operation areas under discussion that will be taken up next week. Two items not on the agenda there are the territorial waters and policing issues, which will have their own political meeting on November 3, according to an official joint statement released yesterday by the three parties. In the meantime, Spanish Minister of Foreign Affairs Miguel Ángel Moratinos, who was instrumental in setting up the Forum, was replaced by Trinidad Jiménez in the recent cabinet reshuffle.